Monday, December 16, 2013

Dirty Dishes

Dirty Dishes seem to find their way into my kitchen sink over and over again.  I don’t know about you, but a clean kitchen sink makes me feel good, organized and accomplished.  Don’t get me wrong, there are more important things that make me feel accomplished at the end of the day or the end of a week, but for some reason…..I feel so much better when the dishes are washed and put away.

This Christmas season is filled with busy schedules, shopping, work and special gatherings with family and friends.  The “To Do” lists continue, relationships are waiting to be nurtured and there are always dirty dishes that need to be tended to.

The Dirty Dishes of Life can feel even more daunting – especially during the holiday season!  Those that lost a loved one or who have experienced a broken relationship, individuals that are far from home and family, as well as people who are dealing with consequences from difficult choices they have made. Feelings of isolation, loneliness and failure abound and we’re constantly filling our dishwasher, scrubbing the pots and pans and trying to figure out what’s missing in life. We ask questions like, “What am I doing wrong?”, “How can I fix something that’s broken?”,  and“Is it possible to find real joy and purpose?”.

I’ve had my share of dirty dishes in the last several months: trying relationships, questioning my parenting technique at times and trying to juggle life as a whole.  Life can be hard, unexpected surprises (not the good kind) can pop up without notice and we can be left feeling all alone and not very clean.
The amazing thing is, when I have moments when I feel like I haven’t lived up to other’s expectations or I have failed at being a strong, supportive wife and mom…..I realize there are plenty more moments when I feel blessed beyond measure and receive strength that only comes from my heavenly Father! Three truths come to mind:

     1.       I need to focus on God and others, it’s only then that I can be content and feel fulfilled.
     2.      God can redeem anything – hurt relationships can be made whole, He can bring good out of evil.
     3.      My purpose and joy is found in relationships. A relationship with Jesus in whom I trust with my life,     relationships with loved ones and helping others by serving!

So in regards to my dirty dishes in the kitchen sink, if I take time away from God or others just to have a clean kitchen, I’ll miss out on so many special moments that God has planned for my life. The Dirty Dishes of Life need my attention more- whether my own, or someone else’s.  The power of God’s love can wash away all our dirt, grime and sin. His love is perfect, never-ending and purifies us from the inside out.
May your Christmas this year be filled with a special joy, time well- spent with loved ones and the knowledge that the birth of a little baby many years ago, was a gift that can’t be wrapped up or even hidden underneath a sink full of dirty dishes – it’s available to us every day of the year.  It's the gift of an everlasting life with a God who loves us!

Wishing you a very blessed Christmas and joy-filled New Year -


“Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.   2 Peter3:18

No comments:

Post a Comment