Wednesday, April 24, 2013

It all Begins with a Dream....

When I was a little girl I would day dream all the time.  I would dream of being a mom and taking my baby to church, making sure I had the proper toys in the diaper bag to keep the baby entertained during the sermon.  I would dream of finding my "prince" of a husband to share life with while raising a family.  As I aged a bit, into my teenage years, I would dream about becoming a manager in the business world and wanted to drive a BMW with leather seats.  Status became a little more important to me and so did wanting to "prove" myself to others. In reality, I needed to prove something to myself.....that I was worthy.  Worthy of respect and admiration from those around me.  Worthy of having a a great life, a great job, a wonderful husband and family.  This was probably the extent of my focus.  Period.

Well, I'm no longer that little girl who used to day dream about life and the "what ifs".  I am a middle-aged (did I just say that) wife, mom and wedding planner. My life no longer revolves around me and what I want, but it's now more about others' wants, needs and dreams.  It sounds a bit like I'm trying to sound perfect or like I have it all together.  However, contrary to how it sounds, I am far from perfect. I mess up and still find myself, at times, trying to feel worthy.  Sometimes, I try to take control of my life, yet always end up realizing the obvious....I am NOT in control.  The God who created me, the universe and everything that it encompasses is in control.  This life journey I am traveling, is the road that leads me to understanding a loving, merciful God and how to pass that on to others. Do I fail at doing so?  Yes.  Should I give up on my dreams?  No.

Fairy Tales, Dirty Dishes and Dreams is a way for me to share my thoughts on life, faith and marriage.  It's a place where I will be able to share regrets, encouragement and what I have learned from my life experiences that will hopefully touch someone just when they need to hear it.  If this happens, it won't be because I wrote it, but because God allowed it and paved the way for it to happen.

Are you currently doing something or trying to control a situation that will increase your worth in the eyes of others? Do you dream of that fairytale ending in a current relationship and/or marriage?  Are you questioning what God's plan is for your life?

The scripture that stuck out to me this morning is this:  "Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others.  Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.  Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too."  Philippians 2:3-4.

I have been blessed with an amazing husband, four beautiful children and a wonderful family.  But life cannot come without sacrifices, challenges and pain. Thankfully I can turn to my Heavenly Father when the "dirty dishes" of life start piling up in the sink, and know by faith, that one day, all will become clean again!

Be blessed and make this day count!

No comments:

Post a Comment